Friday, January 6, 2012

Canberra - Old Parliament House

 
Last night as the sun was setting we decided to go for a drive up to the Telstra (Telecom) Tower on Black Mountain, we also took a drive up to Mount Ainsle. In both cases however the view was far from perfect as a light cloud had moved in making the view misty.
 
IMG_8425
IMG_8368IMG_8402
 

 

 

IMG_8408

Today was the last day in Canberra for us on this holiday. The kids went with their grandparents whilst Sara and I went to the Old Parliament House.
 
Before we went there we dropped by the National Library as I thought I might be able to locate a medical journal containing an article on me from when I was born. Unfortunately I was not armed with enough information and the search was futile. I will have to try again some day.

Arriving at the front steps of Parliament house we found they had a parking spot for us right at the front :)
IMG_0111
As I had never been here it was very interesting. To see the warren of rooms and to find that each room had, sometimes more that three people working in each, it's no wonder they needed to build the new one. Many of the rooms and chambers are setup exactly as they were when the staff and politicians moved house.  They had many duplicate art works on display and many historical artefacts. Of course they also had the Senate and Representative chambers.

In the afternoon we returned to camp to unwind and begin packing for the trip home tomorrow. It was a quick trip but the kids loved Canberra and i think they learned a lot.
 

No comments: